Bonnie, Let me add to what William said about not sticking code set validation in the translation map. WEDI SNIP also recommends (and I wholeheartedly agree) that compliance checking and translation should be treated as two distinct and separate operations. Compliance checking should be a front-end process that is carried out before any translation takes place. This offers several benefits. HIPAA compliance is a regulatory process, while translation is a business process, By combining the logic for both into your mapping you are then forced to modify both should either process change, whereas by keeping them separate you only have to change the appropriate one if the requirements (ie: HIPAA regs or your business process) change. This simplifies maintenance and reduces the likelihood that Murphy's law will take a hand.
Regards, John Murray 703-369-7421 -----Original Message----- From: Bonnie A. Boucher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 11:01 AM To: EDI-L Mailing List Subject: Re: [EDI-L] Level 5....??? Thank you William & John. My EDI background is Transportation, which I thought was pretty straight forward, and then I jumped into the Healthcare industry and am now dealing with HIPAA and there are times when I feel like my head is spinning. I appreciate your help! Thanks, Bonnie ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> $9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/OIFolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> . Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC> Access the list online at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
