Earl (et al),

 

Yes, I agree with you - there can be (and often are) many similarities
between documents in a certain business line/type (retail, mfg, banking,
etc.).  I looked at many ASNs and many INV samples when creating one.  No
doubts, what-so-ever.

 

But, there are still enough differences to make just a single doc from a
non-partner company somewhat limited in value, especially if you are not
trading with that partner and you have no idea what your other partners will
be sending or requiring to be sent.

 

Craig Dunham

Bear Necessities Computing

EDI Sherpa

Author/blogger

 <http://www.retailedi.com/> RetailEDI.com

 <http://editalk.com/> EDITalk.com

 

PS - it should be noted that the "title" of EDI Sherpa was given applied by
a very well known person in the world of EDI.  He coined it just prior to
meeting in LA a year ago for DISA meeting.

 


 
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/message/29025;_ylc=X3oDMTJybmY1Zm5sBF9T
Azk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIxMDc2NzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA1NTgyBG1zZ0lkAzI5MDI1BHNl
YwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyODYwOTc2ODI-> Re: What is EDI... 


Posted by: "Earl Wertheimer"  


Sat Oct 2, 2010 5:03 pm (PDT) 


I agree, BUT ;-)

There are still many common features of certain documents amongst Trading 
Partners.

If I was going to implement an ASN, I would look beyond one Trading Partner
so 
that I wasn't programming myself into a corner and could reuse the mappings
for 
the next implementation.

It's also useful to see what the 'Big Boys" are using. Unless you have a 
specific requirement, why be different?

I analysed all 142 ASN/856 mappings (in the Retail/Distribution sector), and

found:

13 calculated fields (eg. HL Level, Line #)
154 fields mapped from the database (eg. Carton#, Weight, B/L#, etc..)

That's under 170 fields for ALL the 856s I've done.

My point... Looking at other implementations of the same document can be
very 
useful.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to