On 03/16/16 14:47, Ni, Ruiyu wrote:
> Laszlo,
> Which kernel version are you using? Yes I indeed used 4.4.1 from ppa wily.
> I would more likely to assume 4.4.1 has a regression. Will try 4.4 tomorrow.

I am using a RHEL-7 kernel that is not publicly released yet. While I
was working on SMM for OVMF, I built upstream kernels manually.

It is not justified to suspect a 4.4.1 regression until you test a
hand-built upstream 4.4.1 kernel (or, even better, the latest in the
4.4.y stable series, 4.4.5 at this moment).

What a PPA offers has zero relevance. Please build your kernel manually
from the upstream sources, or use an official (and fully updated)
distribution release that is built on the 4.4 kernel.

(The difference between my using an unreleased, development RHEL-7
kernel and your using some random Ubuntu PPA is that my RHEL-7 kernel
was built by the upstream KVM maintainer: Paolo, as part of his work at
Red Hat. He knows what he's doing. The official distro releases also
tend to. I wouldn't be so sure about a random *personal* packaging
archive (PPA) though.

It is *possible* that upstream 4.4.1 indeed contains a regression, but
when using a PPA, your first suspect should be the PPA.)

Thanks
Laszlo