On 2016/8/11 9:59, Andrew Fish wrote:

On Aug 10, 2016, at 6:53 PM, Zeng, Star <star.z...@intel.com> wrote:

If a DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER driver just wants to report status code at boot phase
and links to DxeReportStatusCodeLib, is it a bug?

How about just to add notes for DxeReportStatusCodeLib like DxePcdLib.inf?

Star,

This is point about lack of rules around this. I think the difference is the
PCD protocol is defined as boot service only. I guess you could argue that
depending on how things are constructed you could access some (FixedAtBuild)
PCD things at runtime.

I don't think it is a good idea to produce a runtime service that does not work
at runtime. Mike seems to agree.

But I agree better rules about this would be helpful.

Andrew,

I see the point, and I also agree it is helpful with good rules.
I just thought about a possible valid use case from user, and propose to reduce the negative impact. Adding notes like DxePcdLib.inf is a possible approach to state the limitation, and there are also similar notes in SecPeiDxeTimerLibCpu.inf and SecPeiDxeTimerLibUefiCpu.inf.

Thanks,
Star

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

DxePcdLib.inf:
"
# Note: A driver of type DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER and DXE_SMM_DRIVER can only use
this DxePcdLib
#  in their initialization without any issues to access Dynamic and DynamicEx
PCD. They can't
#  access Dynamic and DynamicEx PCD in the implementation of runtime services
and SMI handlers.
#  Because EFI_PCD_PROTOCOL is DXE protocol that is not aviable in OS runtime
phase.
"

Thanks,
Star