> On Feb 12, 2018, at 1:07 PM, Rick Warner <r...@microway.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to develop a tool for automated BIOS flashing from the EFI shell
> using IPMI serial over lan to drive it.  To accomplish this, my plan is to
> use a network booted EFI shell with a tftp client and a ramdisk to download
> the flash tools and ROM into as a workspace and then run the flash commands
> from that ram disk.
>
> I've been able to successfully build and boot an efi shell from the edk 2
> sources including the tftp client.  I've also been able to separately build
> the RamDiskDxe driver from the MdeModulePkg. Loading the RamDiskDxe.efi
> driver file results in a successful message, but I do not get any usable ram
> disk made available to me?
>
> How do I get a usable drive letter/name (ie blk0: or any other name) from the
> RamDiskDxe driver?

Looks like when you load the RamDiskDxe it registers gEfiRamDiskProtocolGuid
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/MdePkg/Include/Protocol/RamDisk.h
<https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/MdePkg/Include/Protocol/RamDisk.h>
 which notes this API was added in UEFI 2.6 so you can read up on it in that
version of the EFI Spec.

>From a quick site read of the code it looks like the driver just produces a
>Protocol that lets you create a RAM disk and VRF (Setup Pages) that let you
>configure one. Seems like you still need to call it and give the raw disk
>image.

> Once I've done that, will it be possible to include the RamDiskDxe driver as
> part of the network bootable efi shell image?  I assume I'll need to modify
> the .dsc file for the ShellPkg to include the MdeModulePkg pieces.
>
> If anyone has any other suggestions for this, I'm open to ideas. The only way
> I've been successful in network booting EFI shell is using just that file
> directly.  I tried creating a dos filesystem image with the efi shell file in
> it just like would work with a USB key, but that would not boot over the
> network stack. If there is some way of creating a network bootable EFI shell
> filesystem image (similar to how Linux can network boot a separate vmlinuz
> kernel and initrd image)?
>
> Are there any docs that I've missed (I've tried looking in the user docs and
> on the wiki) regarding setting up RamDiskDxe?

Traditionally network booting has involved loading a single file over the
network (like an OS Loader) and that file uses the UEFI networking stack to
download (TFTP read) more images (like the Kernel) from a location implied by
the location used to download the single file (OS Loader).

Thanks,

Andrew Fish