From: Jordan Justen [mailto:jljus...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 2:38 PM
To: Laszlo Ersek
Cc: edk2-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [edk2] [RFC 00/15] S3 suspend/resume for OVMF (WIP)

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/13 22:42, Jordan Justen wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> Do you think it would be better for OVMF to add EMU SMM modules, or
>> to fix the core S3 modules to not require SMM?
>
> Yes, that's the crucial question. My approach was to use whatever's
> in-tree and provide shims for the missing protocols etc.
>
> FWIW I agree with Eugene too -- the ~40 hours I've spent on this since
> Friday evening tell me (maybe incorrectly) that "fixing" the S3
> modules not to require SMM looks rather like "rearchitecting" them.

I'm sure you've spent considerably more time on this now. Are you still
convinced that a 'fake' SMM is the best way to go? The 'fake'
SMM support you've developed for OVMF certainly doesn't seem trivial.
It also seems likely to add confusion for anyone trying to understand the code.

I guess I'm just frustrated that EDK II's S3 support would require those SMM
interfaces. I can see taking advantage of SMM when it is available...

-Jordan