On 06/03/15 13:14, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

> I think there are many more inter-dependencies in edk2 than that. Edk2
> development does not occur *only* along protocol, PPI, and library class
> boundaries. Theoretically that might be possible, but it would require
> *extreme* discipline in development (very focused patches, all
> developers building all series at all stages before submitting, and so on).

I apologize for responding separately, but an example just occurred to
me: BaseTools.

BaseTools used to exist as a separate repository, and it kept causing
problems (for example, .nasm* assembly sources could not have been
introduced without coordination with BaseTools). Ultimately the
BaseTools suite was unified with the main edk2 repository, and it was a
very welcome development.

Another example would be the PCDs that package X declares in its DEC
file, and package Y sets (statically or dynamically). Coordination is
required; the set of PCDs declared by a package is ultimately a
cross-package interface.

If these can be safely handled with the submodule approach, please
educate me as to how.

Thanks
Laszlo