Donald Burrill wrote:
> Only if you are unwilling to assume that the writer of the term shares
> your understanding of proper usage;  no?

True. OTOH I feel I have a good case here (and, of course, I think my opinion
is correct!).

Jim raised a not unreasonable objection - that the use of one-tailed =
directional is very widespread. My counter is that:

- those of us who teach ought to help try and clear up the confusion
- those who write or review ought to propogate good, clear reporting

Thom

(I think an earlier reply of mine bounced - so forgive a repeat).