recent references to grading on the curve don't quite jibe with my substantial
amount of experience being graded this way.  in the (good) engineering schools i
attended in california, the instructor would typically try to write an exam of a
level of difficulty that would produce a good spread of total points among
students, the idea being that relative achievement would be easier to see, not
lost in the noise.  i don't recall anything about taking points away from good
students or giving them to poor ones.  i also don't recall that they were held
to the normal distribution of grades.

and i believe it is widely accepted that teaching someone else how to do
something is one of the best ways to ensure that one actually understands it.

muriel

--
Any resemblance of any of the above opinions to anybody's official position is
completely coincidental.

Muriel Strand, P.E.
Air Resources Engineer
CA Air Resources Board