On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I need to find a statistical software packages. Most of my statistical
> work has been done using Microsoft Excel. This has worked out fine,
> however, I need to find a more heavy duty package but nothing over
> whelming. I perform some simple statistical work but would like to
> begin to use a more powerful package. Any suggestion would be great.

I like Minitab, myself.  One virtue may be that it behaves in some ways
like a spreadsheet, and the data are stored (& displayed, if desired) in
what Minitab calls a "worksheet", which looks very much like the database
display of a spreadsheet package.  Its command language is
straightforward and easy to learn, although these days Minitab Inc. seems
to be downplaying that particular advantage in favor of menu-driven
controls.  If you are a student, I believe there is a special deal
available from Minitab;  perhaps one of my colleagues whose knowledge is
more immediate than mine will care to comment.
                                                -- DFB.
 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128