In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SAlbert) wrote:
> Cheryl makes a good point:  the "right" package depends on what the
user wants
> to do.  MINITAB might be a good choice -- or SPSS, or any of dozens of
others.
> Is the application area psychology?  Biology?  Economics?
Meteorology?
> Demography?  Chemistry?  Do we need regression?  Cross-tabs?  Time
series?
> Design of Experiments?
>     The original question can't have a general answer that's correct
for
> everyone.  If the original poster could provide a little more
information about
> needs, we could be a lot more helpful.
>
> Steve Albert

I'm the original postee, and this is why I asked the question. I'm a
computer analyst for a large law firm. Most of my work is involved in
large class action lawsuit, where I need to gather, organize and store
mounds of data. From time to time I will need to perform some
statistical work on this data. Usually the law firm will contract out
this work, since as an employee I am not qualified to be an expert
witness when it comes to statistical evidence. However my job is a new
position for this law firm and they would like to perform some in house
statistical work not only for comparison to the outside consultants but
for internal questions as well. What type of statistical work I will be
performing is unknown at this time. Hopefully from the type of data I'm
collecting, someone can determine what statistical package is best
suited for my needs. I would ask the consultants we work with, but was
instructed not to.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.