"Christopher J. Mecklin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In regards to the point below:
> (1) is a good point (the ballot looked simple to me but we should never
> underestimate the ability of people to mess up anything)
> but I don't buy "How many thought that they were marking
> Bush but punched the hole for another candidate?"  Bush/Cheney's position
> at the top of the left hand side of the ballot (corresponding to the first
> hole) makes it much more unlikely that a voter intending to vote for Bush
> would make a mistake than a Gore voter, with Gore/Lieberman being 2nd on
> the left hand side (corresponding to the third hole, not the second hole).
> See

www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/11/09/election.president/large.ballot.a
p.jpg

> On a lighter note, I'd suggest that Bush/Gore play "rock,paper,scissors"
> decide things, but Bush would be confused by the rules and Gore would need
> a focus group to make a choice. :)

You amuse me immensely.  Politicians are such easy targets...
--
Dr Julie Lamoureux, dmd, MSc
Tampa, Florida

> Disclaimer:  More so than usual, these are ONLY my opinions and no one
else's.

> At 05:22 PM 11/09/2000 +0000, Peter Lewycky wrote:
> >1) The ballot form was made public and widely distributed well in
> >advance of the election.  The print was larger than normal to assist the
> >elderly. The ballot was a single page. If they had used a conventional
> >list then it would've been two pages long (possibly with Gore on the
> >second page). Both parties saw nothing wrong with the form and approved
> >it's use.
> >2) How many people thought that they were voting for Buchanan when
> >inadervtently they marked Gore? How many thought that they were marking
> >Bush but punched the hole for another candidate?
> >
> >Juan Zuluaga wrote:

Gore.
> > > However, folks in Palm Beach were complaining that their ballots were
> > > confusing, and many people voted for Buchanan when they thought they
were
> > > voting for Gore.  With the help of my wife Chris, I analyzed the
county by
> > > county presidential results for Florida.  The results are clear:  the
> > ballot
> > > for Palm Beach cost Gore approximately 2200 votes.  A simple
regression of
> > > Buchanan's vote on Bush's vote shows that Buchanan should have only
gotten
> > > 800 votes, not 3400.
> > >
> > > Don't believe me?  Look for yourself:  It's not even close!  Palm
Beach is
> > > an outlier beyond all belief!!!
> > >
> > > http://madison.hss.cmu.edu/palm-beach.pdf
> > >
> > > I need help getting these results out to the world.  If you have media
> > > contacts or now how to tip them, please have them contact me asap.
Thanks.