Thanks for the comments, LiAnna.

An issue that someone mentioned to me is that many academics choose not to
edit Wikipedia articles because editing Wikipedia is far less beneficial to
their careers than publishing academic articles and books. There may be
some benefit to academics from having their articles and books cited in
Wikipedia, but that is different from editing Wikipedia unless they add
their own articles and books as citations or have someone else do that on
their behalf (which I would discourage them from doing directly, although
recommending relevant articles and books on talk pages and disclosing any
potential COI could still be a net benefit so that other editors can
evaluate their recommendations). I am curious about how you were so
successful in recruiting academics to volunteer for this program. Can you
comment on that? It would be nice if academics and universities are
starting to feel that contributing to Wikipedia is valuable for academic
careers and/or as public service that they wish to encourage.

On a related subject, I will mention that to my surprise, some universities
now award scholarships to undergraduate applicants for e-sports. One would
think that extensively contributing constructively to Wikipedia, whether by
applicants for admission or by academics, would be viewed much more
positively by universities than participating in e-sports, but to my
knowledge no universities have made such a decision. If you know of any
change in academia about the value of editing Wikipedia articles by
applicants for undergraduate or graduate admission, I would also be
interested in hearing about that. Perhaps admissions policies are a
potential area in which the Wiki Education Foundation could lobby
universities to make changes. I realize that this is a tangent from the
subject of encouraging academics to contribute content themselves, but I
thought that I would mention this as a related topic of interest.

Thanks,

Pine