I have to agree about the lack of community-response in general.  It's a
great firewall/appliance, but they make it way too hard to customize,
tweak and update for an open-source product.  I built my own, mini, dev
environment in order to patch a few things, but will certainly look into
the one Robert produced.

I glanced at ZeroShell -- only glanced -- it seems a bit different to
Endian.  Some packages I see as strengths, others as weaknesses.  For
example, they leverage BIND, and you need to setup your own DNS.  That's
not trivial -- dnsmasq is more than sufficient for most SOHO
applications.  Plus, they built their own linux OS.  That means any
patches/additions have to be compiled from source and hopefully you have
all the dependencies.  I would much-prefer a CentOS-based distro that I
could (at least somewhat) easily add my own features from standard
RPMS.  There are some good features there as well, I agree.  And I have
been long-waiting for Endian to allow true load-balanced WAN connections.