From: Bill Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Larry Dodson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Low Power ?

On Sep 19, 2004, at 6:27 AM, Larry Dodson wrote:

> I wonder if my K2 (Serial # 2424 with latest mods and software) is set
> up correctly and would appreciate comments.  Output power with CAL
> CURR set at 3.0 amps is as below.  Increasing CAL CURR to 5 amps makes
> little difference.  I know that the K2 is basically a 10 watt rig and
> I get more on some bands, but the upper bands do not achieve this.
> When using the K2 with my KW1000 Linear Amplifier a watt or two makes
> a difference.
> 80 Meters = 13.0 watts out
> 40 Meters = 10.0 watts out
> 30 Meters = 12.0 watts out
> 20 Meters = 11.0 watts out
> 15 Meters =  8.0 watts out
> 12 Meters =  9.5 watts out
> 10 Meters =    7.0 watts out

I had this problem, too. Mine didn't affect 15m, but I barely had 10
watts on 12m, and just 9.3 watts at the bottom of 10m, with even less
higher in the band.

Gary Surrency suggested a number of things. The first thing is to
re-align the transformers for 17/15m and 12/10m. Make sure they ware
well peaked according to the manual. This got half a watt on 10m.

Next was to re-wind T4, the binocular core in the output of the finals.
Orignally, I had wound it according to the instructions, but since then
they suggested the white and green winding be interleaved on the core.

At this point, I got 9.9 watts at the bottom of 10m, and had little
more to try. Make sure T2 and T1 are wound neatly and spaced slightly
off the board. That will improve high-band performance as well.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901