Leigh, wrote:

I did the bandwidth mod while I built my KSB2, following the advice
given here, and in the new KSB2 manual --

This morning I was able to work KH6BB ...Op Lee reported that I was
"off frequency" and "too low."  Any idea what to check for?  The
spectrogram plot looked a lot like the one in the paper...

Leigh, were you receiving on FL1? Filter 1 is always the filter used for
transmission, so if you do not have SPLIT, RIT or XIT enabled, you are
transmitting on exactly the same frequency you are receiving on when
listening on FL1.

If you are using a filter other than FL1 you might have as much as a 10 or
20 Hz error if it's set up properly. That's as close as the K2 is capable of
resetting the frequency later. That is NOT enough to trigger a "too low"
comment, however. It is enough to hear easily when listening to music, but
not the human voice.

One possibility is that you are simply passing a wider band of frequencies
now with the wider filter setting that is making your sound 'different'. I
widened the bandwidth of my SSB filter and now keep the low-end cutoff 3-db
point at about 400 Hz to avoid the rumble of the "drone" in my voice from
hogging the SSB power. I have FL2 set up lower with the cutoff at about 200
Hz because some stations sound better with a little "bass boost".

One last point I'll make -- understanding that it is controversial. A lot of
people say the Spectrogram puts the filters "right on". I've done it many
times and I will agree that it's close, but Spectrogram has never been
"right on" in my estimation.  It's close enough that most people don't need
to do any more, but I've always found it possible to improve the quality by
monitoring my signal and making the final adjustments, just as the KSB2
manual advises. I record my signal in an auxiliary receiver and play back
the recording to hear how I really sound; bone conduction of sound in your
head really changes what you hear if you are listening to yourself in the
auxiliary receiver in "real time".

If you don't have an auxiliary receiver, get on the air with a buddy who is
receiving you well, and try different settings of FL1 until he pronounces
you "best".

Ron AC7AC