Leigh,

As preliminary filter alignment for SSB FL1, I recommend setting 2 markers in Spectrogram - one at 300 Hz and the other at {filter bandwidth + 300 Hz}(- for 2.3 kHz filter use 300 and 2600 Hz). Then adjust the BFO to center the passband between those markers.

That will produce a good quality signal for most operators. If your voice is abnormal (or if you just want to further refine things), record your signal on a separate receiver and play it back to evaluate your transmitted audio.

Check out the thoughts in Ron D'Eau Clair's post on this subject too.

As a totally different thought - could the other operator's evaluation of 'off frequency and too low' be a result of his mistuning? Did you tune so his signal sounded natural, or did you tune to some 'net' frequency? If you tuned to a 'net' frequency, I must ask if you had the tuning rate in the kHz display position - if you did, there may have been hidden digits (other than '.00' in the frequency display and you could have been mistuned for that reason.

Be careful not to jump to conclusions on the basis of one bad report - but it is something to review until you find reasonable answers.

73,
Don W3FPR