$2800 (if that's a true figure) is quite inexpensive when you compare the
KPA800 (if that's the correct model designator) with the closest
competition on the market: the Icom PW-1 and the Yaesu Quadra.

Both of those amps are solid state auto-tune and are rated at 1000 watts
out on HF and 500 watts out on 6m.  Both weigh in excess of 55 lbs
including the built-in power supply.

The KPA800 weighs 16 kg (35.5 lbs --  not 16 lbs as reported earlier on
the list).

The street price of a new PW-1 is $4600 and a new Quadra is $4000.

The legal limit KPA1500 (if that's the correct model designator) would be
in direct competition with the Alpha 87 and the Acom 2000 amps, which are
both legal limit tube amps with auto-tune features and prices approaching
$7000.  To my knowledge, the KPA1500 would be the first legal limit solid
state auto-tune HF amplifier to hit the market.

IF YOU'RE IN THE MARKET FOR A QUALITY SOLID-STATE (or tube) HF AMP,
you'll probably get more for less if you go with Elecraft.  If you're not
in the market for such an amplifier, don't flame the speculated price.

What we have to do now is wait until Eric and/or Wayne gives further
details about the amp on this reflector.

73, de Earl, K6SE