David,

Have you measured the strength of the BC carriers in the 6 MHz and 7 MHz
"bands" after sunset as seen at the shack end of your antenna's feeder when
terminated ?

If of any use to you I could send you some screen captures using a 1600 kHz
span after sunset this evening, with the BC carrier levels marked. 7 MHz BC
carrier levels received here off a 40m dipole under normal conditions
usually reach + 5 dbm, sometimes a few db higher.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD