Hello Nate,

Glad that you chosed K3.  I am afraid that FT920 is a different kind of
animal and not in the class of K3.  You are now having a Rolls Royce whereas
previously a Toyota.

No offense to any Toyota and FT920 owners!!
 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ Nate Bargmann <n...@n0nb.us>
收件人﹕ Elecraft list <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
傳送日期﹕ 2010/11/23 (二) 12:36:38 AM
主題: [Elecraft] K3 post SS observations

Before I start I should note that I'm not a top tier contester.  For
that matter I probably don't even rank very high in the bottom tier, but
I enjoy the operating so I keep at it.  Some may even argue that the K3
is too advanced of a tool for a back bencher like myself, but I think it
is a good tool regardless as I will turn in my best personal score of
SSB SS ever even though I missed the sweep by PR and VI.

I'll add my voice to the chorus praising Elecraft for doing an
outstanding job with the K3.  The receiver meets the hype, IMO, allowing
me to copy stations that would have been unworkable with my previous
equipment or at least much more difficult.  My previous FT-920 had a DSP
with Lo and Hi cut so its use on the K3 is natural to me.  The
difference is that nothing gets around the K3's filters to bother the
DSP (to be fair, the '920s DSP was audio based and out of the AGC loop
but it could be turned off and one could find many deficiences in the
IF).  I was quite pleased to engage the cut in whatever direction needed
and often I had clear copy on an otherwise covered signal.

An improved 80/160m doublet allowed me to actually run on 80m Sunday
morning and evening.  Reports indicated good audio and strong signals.
I was driving the K3 with a Heil Proset Micro with an HC5-5 element.
Watching the PA temp I never saw it rise above 37C and never heard the
fans kick up during my runs.

For the first time in many years I gave VOX a try and it was equally as
useful as the other aspects of the K3.  Once set with the microphone
boom set correctly I was able to operate as smoothly as using the foot
switch.  I even ate a pickle during Sunday evening's run and the VOX
did not pick that up!  I did not engage the anti-VOX as I had already
set the noise gate.

I am pleased with my purchase of the K3.  It is a powerful and useful
tool no matter one's operating interests, in my opinion.  Perhaps I'm
not the ultimate judge as I don't have any large stations locally to
contend with but I found the receiver to be crunch proof this weekend.
The transmitter ran cool and without complaint even when I forgot to
reset the tuner on excursions up the band on 80m.  As I've had six weeks
to get familiar to the layout, reaching for a needed function did not
require consulting the manual or delving into the menus (only needed to
get into the menu when setting the VOX).

I recommend the K3 to anyone looking to improve their station.  I expect
mine to be on my desk for a long time to come.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

K3 S/N 4762 with 4.22 beta

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."