From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Sun, January 2, 2011 3:42:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] KAT3 and 160 with 40m long doublet

On 1/2/2011 12:03 PM, Stephen Prior wrote:
> I don't have a good enough ground to feed the antenna as a Marconi so my
> options other than lengthening the antenna are rather limited.

Don't give up so easily.  In Chicago, I used a big wrought iron fence
plus a dozen or so 30 ft long wires as counterpoise for a Marconi; KK9H
has used the HVAC ducts in his home.  ANY counterpoise is better than NO
counterpoise.  In another installation, I've run as many fairly short
wires as I could from the base of the antenna, connected them together,
and to the coax shield.  Was it as good as 70 quarter-wave radials?  Of
course not. Did the antenna work well enough for me to have a lot of
fun?  Yup!

My Marconi was a 100 ft long center-fed dipole with loading coils to
resonate it on 80M. Just for fun, I tried loading it as a dipole on 160.
Performance was wretched. Using it as a Marconi gave me signal reports
at least 10dB better.

73, Jim K9YC