The real issue with verticals over bad "ground" of that sort is to
couple as little of it as possible.  There is good evidence that DENSE
elevated radials are effective over really bad earth.  Since "dense"
and "elevated" coupled together can easily be one of those
easy-to-say-and-don't-dare-do situations practically, the possibility
may make little difference.

73, Guy.