Chen

Thanks for that supporting addition, and for your work on the Smith
Chart showing the KAT3 matching range for 160 meters.  It is all a
matter of the physics of the situation.

As you mentioned, the matching range of the KAT3 becomes greater as the
frequency is increased.
That fact is often overlooked by many hams.  It is all about the amount
of L and C available in the tuner, but the inductive or capacitive
reactance is really what counts in producing the match.  If the
feedpoint in the shack has 1000 ohms of inductive reactance, and the
tuner has only 600 ohms capacitive reactance to attempt to cancel that
inductance, then a match will never happen.

For a given L, the reactance increases with frequency, and with a given
C, the reactance decreases with frequency.  That can be easily seen from
the formulas for inductive and capacitive reactance - for inductance,
the "f: term is a multiplier, and for capacitors, it is a divisor.

The limiting factor for L-network tuners is usually the largest
inductance available.  The capacitive component is not normally the
limiting factor because that can be made quite small (high reactance).

The KAT3 (and KAT100 and KAT2, and KAT1 and KXAT1) uses an L-match
tuning section.  The required L and C values can easily be computed
using the standard formulas for an L-matching section.  If the L and C
values required are greater than that available in the tuner, you have
exceeded the range of the tuner.

Instead of adding additional feedline, it is also possible to add
parallel or series capacity or inductance at the feedline connection
point to bring things into a tunable range.  For those who want to
pursue the "fine points", study a bit about L-networks and conjugate
matching.

73,
Don W3FPR