On 1/2/2011 2:39 PM, Tony Estep wrote:

> A short antenna just presents a
> capacitive reactance (a -j value) to the tuner, which in my experience the
> KAT3 has always been able to deal with.

Well ... I think it sort of depends on the antenna and the length of the
feedline if it's surge impedance isn't matched to the antenna feedpoint.
  Short Marconi-T's and Inv-L's typically will have some inductive
reactance when fed at the bottom, hence the usual series cap.  And, what
Z appears at the TX end of the coax depends both on the mismatch at the
feedpoint, and the length of the coax.  W3FPR has suggested multiple
times that, if all you're looking for is a match by the KAT3 so your K3
will be happy and exude power, try adding 1/8 wave of coax to the line.

Of course, just getting a KAT3 match doesn't mean you're getting a lot
of power into a short antenna or that it will radiate [or receive] well.

I guess there's a reason why those old coastal marine stations had such
huge antennas :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org