On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 1/25/2011 10:37 AM, Scott Ellington wrote:
>> but my AL-82 once blew the 15 A 240 V fuses, which suggests PF was less than
>> about 0.7.
>
>  More to the point, the main thing that blows breakers with very large
> power supplies is the inrush of current at turn-on to charge the input
> filter cap.

Not in this case.  Anyway, the AL-82 has inrush current limiting.

> The difference between a linear supply and a switching supply in this
> regard is that while they both have input filter caps, the cap in the
> linear supply is much larger (and the transformer is usually more
> robust), so the inrush current will usually be greater.

Not necessarily.  Many switching supplies simply rectify and filter the line
voltage to produce 170 or 340 V DC, without even a transformer to limit the
current.  (All now have at least a thermistor, but they didn't always.)  More
expensive switching supplies have power factor correction circuitry, which
inherently limits inrush current.  I don't know that any of the switching
supplies commonly used to power transceivers have this feature.  (Virtually all
computer supplies do, as required by law.  How this came about is an
interesting story.)

73,

Scott  K9MA

Scott Ellington