Each of the firmware files is checked for line by line checksum validity and
the presence of a file end record during FTP (which isn't used in the Beta
unzip process) and the firmware files are read into the PC's RAM and similarly
verified before initiating firmware load. We don't access the file system
during firmware load to avoid issues like network file share access problems at
awkward times.

There is a line by line checksum test and a retry protocol during the load. But
we are critically dependent in receiving single byte ACK or NACK for each
firmware record. Most corruption I see is based on USB / laptop combinations
and is somewhat transient or due to unfortunate combinations of laptop and USB
adapters. The same devices work fine at different times or with other cables or
the cable works fine with another computer. The most damaging corruption the
occasional introduction of a byte the program didn't send or the loss of a
response ACK. I have traces of both scenarios, and application level error
recovery code for "should not occur" sorts of failure like this.

Most of my K3 Utility testing is done with a vintage Prolific PL2303 based KUSB
with my Windows 7 64-bit desktop development system, with two 2-meter RS 232
extension cords across the room, two DB9 ABCD switches and two one-meter DB9
extension cords in line between PC and K3. When I make changes to the firmware
loaders I also test with an XP laptop, Vista laptop, Windows 7 netbook, and a
Windows 98 SE minitower, and a Windows XP desktop with RS232.

Dick, K6KR