I see posts like these often here, and (knock on wood) I have *never*
experienced any problem whatsoever in loading firmware into my K3 (#3192)
since I have owned it.  I dont understand why there is so much angst
regarding firmware updates!

The computer I use is a Dell GX280 mini desktop.  It has one "real" serial
port, and a whole bunch of USB ports.  Since I have a MicroKeyer2 and
microHAM STRONGLY SUGGESTS folks *not* try to upload software through the
MK, I have a simple, stupid, manual $3 RS232 switch set up between the
computer, the MK and the radio (see the picture on my QRZ page.  It makes a
nice stand for my wattmeter).  One side of the switch puts the MicroKeyer
into the radio.  The other side of the switch puts the "real" serial port
into the radio.  I switch the rig's input between serial devices that way,
and have never had a problem with EITHER device.

I have also uploaded firmware from my older Dell Lattitude C400 into #3192
(and several other K3's) using a Saelig "industrial"  USB to Serial adaptor.
I believe the Saelig unit has FTDI USB chips.  The neat thing about the
Saelig unit is that it has two red LED's inside a little window that give
you visual feedback that the device is communicating.  If the LED's are
flashing, its talking!  It also has a really long USB cable, so no extension
serial cable is needed.  Just plug it right in to the radio's serial port
and go.

I use over 40 of these Salelig adaptors at work to connect things like
printers and bar code scanners to computers and have never had an issue with
them controlling absolutely any device I throw at them under Win2k, Win XP
and Win7.  Two control a custom robotic arm in our museum and have been
working reliably since 2005.  OTOH, I have had lots of problems with Belkin,
Radio Shack and "EBay special" USB adaptors in the same applications.

The Saelig ones cost $20 delivered.  YGWYPF.

I find the method of updating the K3 just fine.  As far as adding
sophistication, I always refer back to my childhood idol, Lt Cmdr.
Montgomery Scott of Starfleet:

"The more complex they make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the
drain".

-lu- W4LT
K3 #3192

Message: 3