We had some damage here Fred, but the houses in the local area are
mostly still habitable. Across town came off much worst by all accounts.
The electricity is back on now, and we get an occasional trickle of
water from the tap, to be boiled for drinking.

Things to improve for "the next time":

- 50 litres drinking water is only just sufficient for a family of five.
I'm going to increase the "stash" to 200 litres (about 50 gallons) or more.

- Battery capacity in the shack was one 7 A/H gel battery, and about 20
AA cells. Too little to be of any use in an emergency. I'm thinking 200
A/H minimum plus a portable generator would be more appropriate. I will
also set up the shack to run off 12V battery supply all the time,
including shack computer, so it's always ready to go. The rotator might
be a little tricky in that regard being 24VAC.

- Candles are a no-go in an earthquake because they fall over when there
is an aftershock. Flashlights are inconvenient as a "working" light, so
I am looking at LED lamps, bolted to the wall or desk so they stay put.

Maybe I'm suffering an attack of siege mentality, but once bitten, twice
shy.

Wish list: I nice hot shower - luxury!

73 Paul ZL3IN