So, I asked a question late last night but no responses.  So, either no one
cares or maybe I got lost in the noise.  But, that is OK -- I will try again.

I am confused and mystified by a mic that I borrowed from a friend to try out
with the K3.  It is a Kenwood MC-60 and I think it is fairly new and I only
have a day or two to play with this so I want to make use of that time.

I am discovering that I don't understand all there is about microphones and the
K3.  For example, when you use the MENU to set the Mic to something like FP.L
or FP.H, what is the true meaning of the L and H.  I know that the document
says Low gain and High gain but how am I to interpret this.  Does H mean that
the mic has high gain or does it mean that it needs high gain.

This MC-60 mic has a preamplifier on it and when this amp is off, I have
trouble getting the ALC meter to measure anything.  I do the test of speaking
normally into the mic but with the mic gain set to 60 I have to either shout or
speak VERY CLOSELY to the mic to make the ALC meter move at all.  This does not
seem right.  I get the same behavior whether the mic setting is FP.L or FP.H.
By the way, Bias is set off as I believe it should be with a dynamic mic.

Now, I have done some tests on-air with a few friends and they say my audio
sounds OK.  Right now, I have the compression either zero or very low and I am
forgetting which audio report I got with which setting.  But, the compression
setting didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

Also, another question --- this mic has a preamp and I am wondering if there is
wisdom in using the preamp versus the mic gain set to a high value on the K3.

And, lastly -- I checked the history of some discussion on Kenwood mics and the
K3 and I see there is some discussion about the pin wiring of whether pin 5 is
used or pin 6 for something or other.  I was under the impression that the K3
was using the Kenwood mic wiring so what is this question on pin 5 versus pin 6?

Yes, when it comes to microphones I do not know very much.  I am about 90
percent CW so I obviously do not care about audio too much but I do want things
to sound OK without over driving the K3.

73, phil, K7PEH