INTRO: I am a past K2/100 Kit (fully fleshed out--the K2, not me) owner,
and a present K3/100 FB owner, with also the XV144 outboard unit. Also
in the stable is an ICOM IC-910H. The K3 6 meter section is fleshed out
with a TE0552G, and the 910 works into a TE1452G. So I have 100 watts on
HF and ~300 on 6 and 2 meters. The 910 also provides 432 MHz, but at
lower wattage. It also has a serious hearing problem on 432, and I use a
GaAsFET preamp on the mast at the antenna. This is more or less a stable
station configuration for me. I would guess that it may be my last, but
perhaps in 3-5 years I would be willing to contemplate upgrading...

Now: IF'N I had to do it over again, and was faced with some new or
nascent Elecraft choices, e.g. the KPA500/KAT500, a built-in 144 and 432
section with at least transverter drive power, what would I choose?

WOULD NOTS:

]I definitely WOULD NOT choose the KPA500. 500 watts is just too much
for HF, unless one only operates SSB or AM. I WOULD NOT choose the P3 --
for most of my operating, the narrow FLDIGI window of 4 kHz or
SpectraVue is quite adequate. I definitely WOULD NOT choose an internal
power supply.

WOULDS:

IMHO the 100-watt K3 is just fine for HF. I have never found a CW pileup
I couldn't work through (it is just a matter of patience and timing). My
"gain" comes from a proper antenna.

I WOULD choose an internal 20-25 watt level for 144 MHz and 432 MHz.
Especially at 432, IF a power level of a few hundred watts were the
target, construction/design techniques are enough different that they
would add substantially to the volume of "stuff" in the K3 box. 20-25
watts is plenty to drive simple 13 dB (20X) post-amps...barring
spectacular openings, IMHO the requirements for effective communication
at VHF and UHF are somewhat higher than at HF, probably simply because
there is more of a tendency to use voice modes.

Because of line losses, at 432 MHz one is probably better off with a
mast-mounted GaAsFET preamp. I think that ICOM faced exactly this
question with the 910H, and answered it by producing just such a
companion unit. There is a problem with the GaAsFET preamps in the TE
Systems amps...they are not protected in any way against high power RF,
and I roasted my 144 MHz preamp with output from my 6 meter set-up (mea
culpa).

SUMMARY:

I think the K3/100 with ATU and interface is simply the best rig I've
ever owned. It does marvelous QSK, and with FLDIGI and the SignaLink-USB
it does a superb job with other digital modes. I wish it had internal
provisions for 20-25 watt output at 2 and 3/4 meters. The internal ~9
watt units are just not enough, and the 144 MHz K144XV unit I installed
did not work properly anyhow. (That issue was admirably met by Elecraft;
I was not the only one to have trouble with this unit, which has already
been adequately discussed on the reflector.) I have no techno-lust for
the KPA amp (leave it to 'phone ops) or the P3.

WRT 432 MHz, it is looking like we may lose that band anyhow, to
ill-thought-out & incompetent governance (more's the pity). This has
taken the edge off my interest in 432, even though I have 50 watts to a
big Yagi on the band. Thus, for a plain-vanilla ham like me, 160 through
2 meter coverage would be nice...power levels as mentioned above.

John Ragle--W1ZI

=====