Purely from a VK perspective:

Many times we hear stations from the US calling DX with their beam heading
to VK. Whilst their signal is in the S7 - S9+ we answer the call only to get
reports of S2-S5 with QSB.

We are then proudly told they are using 'Legal Limit' and a 3 element
tri-bander at 50ft.

Now VK3MO is in Melbourne with a stack 5 over 5 over 5 over 5 Yagi's on 20M
with 200W and is told he is 59+ almost every day.

>From what I have heard emphasis is placed on having a signal report of 59 or
better and the high output amplifiers are increasingly being used for a one
way signal and a lot of us forget about improving our own receive abilities.

With a legal limit of 400W in VK, many of us 'creep' up the power with HF
amplifiers and of course we all say we are running 400W so the RF policeman
is happy...he knows the truth of course...but leaves us alone providing we
do not interfere with 'other' users.

The argument will go on for eternity is my guess.

>From purely my perspective and now experience, I am finding the KPA-500 has
done a great job for me this past month. I have worked into EU and the US
and during many qso's I turned the KPA-500 to bypass and collected reports.
My focus was NOT on signal strength, but rather on the copy and I paid
attention to those that I had to repeat myself to better get a handle on how
my signal was doing.

The results have been as I expected, the KPA-500 gave me what I needed to
work DX that I could hear 55 to 58...I work on the assumption that if the
signal I am hearing is 'good copy' then with the 400W we are legally able to
use I should be able to work that station without too much difficulty. The
DX station suffering QRM from nearby frequencies is going to have that issue
no matter who he works and either they need to move frequency or improve
their station receive capability.I hope the readers on this list do not take
my comments to heart as I do not mean everyone, just that I am hearing more
and more distorted signals than a month or so ago as propagation has
improved and to some degree the signal quality can be altered by not paying
attention to the adjustment of the transmit audio to ensure a clean signal.

I have received some really excellent reports on my signal and of course
this makes one proud. To be told your signal is superb does give one a
swelled head...:-)

To compare the KPA-500 @ $2,000 against a PW-1 here in VK at $8,000 is
perhaps unfair but the reality is that is the price we have to pay in VK.

As a portable operation I am unable to 'carry' a huge amplifier due to space
and my ability to lift it becomes a huge issue also.

I was keen to see the KPA-800 with auto-tune included, but, the KPA-500 plus
the soon to be released KAT-500 (remote version) is a perfect fit for me. I
understand that this would not suit everyone, but from Elecrafts position II
am sure they hope the majority of us will be satisfied.

Well done Eric, Wayne and the team at Elecraft for bringing to market a very
good product.

73's to all

Gary

On 10 April 2011 04:47, John Ragle <tpcj1...@crocker.com> wrote:

> 100 watts to 500 watts is ~7 dB, or just about an S-unit. 7 dB is the
> difference between a dipole and a tribander. Clearly there has been a
> super amount of interest in the KPA500, and just as clearly, 1500 watts
> and a 6-element beam at 90 feet will work to rule. This argument has
> been made and remade so many times it is as bad as republicans vs
> democrats. I wish Elecraft all the best, but it is just not my choice to
> go this route. High leather boots are great in snake country, but so is
> a quick eye.
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>
> =====
>
> On 4/9/2011 11:45 AM, Brian Alsop wrote:
> > On 4/9/2011 15:23, John Ragle wrote:
> >> WOULD NOTS:
> >>
> >> I definitely WOULD NOT choose the KPA500. 500 watts is just too much
> >> for HF, unless one only operates SSB or AM.
> > I don't think the majority of contesters and DXer K3 owners agree with
> you.
> >
> > 73 de Brian/K3KO
> >

> > -----
> > No virus found in this message.