On 4/9/2011 11:47 AM, John Ragle wrote:
> 100 watts to 500 watts is ~7 dB, or just about an S-unit. 7 dB is the
> difference between a dipole and a tribander. Clearly there has been a
> super amount of interest in the KPA500, and just as clearly, 1500 watts
> and a 6-element beam at 90 feet will work to rule. This argument has
> been made and remade so many times it is as bad as republicans vs
> democrats. I wish Elecraft all the best, but it is just not my choice to
> go this route. High leather boots are great in snake country, but so is
> a quick eye.

OK, and 100 W to 1,500 W is 11.76 dB, or just under 2 S-units.  There
are many other factors that determine whether or not you get in the DX
log however, and I suspect transmit power is fairly low on the list.
Elevation angle of the main lobe of your antenna is probably a much
bigger factor.  Skill and cunning may be up near the top too :-)

When all the KPA500 "announcing" started, I began running my KW amp at
500 watts to see if I could tell the difference in what I could work
over time.  The only difference I could see was our electrical usage
dropped a little on contest weekends [we have one of those smart meters
and I can track our usage on-line].

I ordered my KPA500 kit last night.  I want to be able to run 500 W with
full QSK, which I can't now.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org