From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
To: Pierfrancesco Caci <p...@tippete.net>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Sat, April 9, 2011 7:43:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] understanding screw sizes

  Pf,

Most of the screws in the K3 are #4, and the thread size is in turns per
inch (4-40).  These are standard sizes here in the US - no metric size
hardware is used in the K3 as far as I know.
You have the reference link correct.

There is also some #2 hardware used in the K3 - it is the smaller
diameter, and has 56 threads per inch (2-56).

#6 hardware has a larger diameter and will have 32 threads per inch (6-32)

The length of the screw threads will change depending on whether the
head is flat or not.  For flathead screws, measure the entire length of
the screw including the head.  For the others, measure from the head to
the end of the screw.

The washers are designated by the size of the hole.  Other dimensions
may exist if important, but often just the hole size and the washer type
(flat, internal tooth lockwasher, split lockwasher) suffice for the
description.

Sorry for those in "Metric Land" who do not understand the US hardware
system.  We tried to go metric many years ago and failed.  Most of the
auto industry is now metric, but for small hardware, the US sizes
predominate here.  We have to keep two sets of wrenches if we are to
have a complete set.

73,
Don W3FPR