I also had the same problem as Tom did,   I bought my K3 a little over 2
years ago ( ser # 22xx range)

I use mine only for VHF work,  an with the rig running in the background
listing for band openings I was getting headache's...could figure it out for
the longest time but some complants on the reflector got me looking into it.
so i sold the K3

3 months later Elecraft came out with the DSP/ lowpass filter mod for the
K3.  The person that bought my rig had the mods done and said it made a very
big improvement.....

 I waited a while and watched what the others posted about the up grade and
it was good.
 so I went and bought another K3....

all I can say is it is a all toghter a different rig than the first one.
the high frq artifacts are gone and the receive audio is very pleasent.

it's just that I can't keep up with all the up grades that Elecraft keep
comming up with........

Don't think the Elecraft crew ever sleep......

I love the APF........

Ed   K7WIA