Of course, if we didn't want to be able to copy with equal clarity
over a > 100 dB input signal range, we could dispense with a lot of
this. AND do that with signals of the extremes separated by a mere 250
Hz.  We are so picky.  Why does anyone put up with us :>)

You selling that T-shirt in bulk?

73, Guy.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Jack Smith
<jack.sm...@cliftonlaboratories.com> wrote:
> Only to a first approximation are filters linear.
>
> Usually the major source of non-linearity is in the inductors. Even
> powdered iron is non-linear to some degree. Ferrite is worse, of course.
> Air is pretty close to perfect.
>
> Capacitors are also non-linear at some level, as C is not constant with
> applied voltage. NP0/C0G caps are very good, but again not perfect.
>
> Filter generated intermodulation problems are real and measurable.  Been
> there and done that and have the Tee-shirt.
>
> Jack K8ZOA
>

> On 4/15/2011 1:01 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:
>> Hi Geoff,
>>
>> I guess I don't understand.  Filters are linear devices.  How can they
>> cause IMD?  If the signal generator's harmonics are removed by the
>> receiver filters then it is the same as if the sig gen were "clean", no?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Alan N1AL
>>

>> On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 11:54 +0100, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
>>> Hi Alan,
>>>
>>> Indeed, most receivers do have some form of filter "up front" in the front
>>> end, and therein lies one source of IMD measurement error if harmonics are
>>> present in the applied test signals.
>>>
>>> While the MiniCircuits application note AN-00-008 which Jack mentioned
>>> points out that harmonics present in the applied test signals are a
>>> potential source of error when measuring the IMD performance of a device
>>> such as a mixer, for the same reasons error can be introduced by a
>>> receiver's input filter(s). So it is essential that "clean" sources are used
>>> when testing a receiver.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Geoff