Getting a little far afield here and maybe a little pedantic (can you be just a
little pedantic?) mixer technology has progressed to the point that the mixer
no longer has to be the limiting factor.

Input filters and post mixer crystal filters are now the focus.

"After having concentrated on the H-Mode mixer circuit for quite some time and
looking at the results obtained with the combination of FSA3157 switches and
T1-6T transformers, it was clear that at this point the mixer was not the
weakest chain in the receiver's frontend anymore."  from:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~martein/pa3ake/hmode/frontend_intro.html