I ran a transmit test today on my recently built (serial 7059) K2/100, with SSB
adaptor,  KAT 100 antenna tuner and elecraft balun.  For the station antenna, I
have an 80 meter dipole with each leg currently cut to 66 feet.  The center of
the dipole is not quite 40 feet high.  The two ends are inverted downward  and
are each 10 feet off the ground.  All three points of the antenna are anchored
in trees.

The antenna is fed to the shack with 165 feet of The Wireman 'window' ladder
line

I used my microphone to call a CQ on 40 meters, and the KAT 100 lit up like a
Holiday Tree.  SWR all the way to the red zone.  I tried this at various power
settings up to 100 watts, and only transmitted long enough to see how many
lights I got.  Always to the end of the scale.  I used a separate SWR meter and
was getting readings of 7:1.

I switched to a 300 watt dummy load from the 80 meter dipole, and the SWR
reading on the KAT 100 was perfect.  Just one light lit up.

I also did a continuity check between the two lines on the ladder line to
verify I did not have a short.  OK there.

Any suggestions?  Is it possible that all I need to do at this point is trim
the antenna?  Or do I have something internal going on?

73 de WN2K
Paul Agoglia