Paul,

Did you set the menu ATU parameter to AUTO and then do a TUNE before
trying to transmit?
If you did, you should have heard relays clack while the KAT100 found a
match, then the SWR indicators should have settled to less than 1.5.

If you followed that procedure, then yes, you can conclude that the
feedpoint impedance of the antenna is beyond the matching range of the
KAT100.

Remember that the KAT100 is not an "automatic tuner" that will initiate
a TUNE when it detects a high SWR - the operator must do a TUNE into the
antenna for each band, and then afterwards, those settings will be
remembered by the KAT100, and restored when you return to that band.  As
long as you do not change the antenna, those settings should be good,
but first, you must do a TUNE on each band to allow the KAT100 to find a
match for that band/antenna.

73,
Don W3FPR