Paul, you can use an 80 meter dipole on 40 as you describe. Many have done
it with success. However, you may have to fool with it to get it to work,
since the antenna is being fed at a very high impedance point.

I assume the balun you're talking about is 4:1. To start, I'd suggest
grounding the cold side of the balun to a counterpoise consisting of at
least 3 wires 33 feet long strung out in various directions, out the window
and lying on the ground if possible. Another helpful measure is to insert an
RF isolator (like those available from Radioworks.com). It goes between the
balun and the tuner. This is just a 1:1 choke balun which kills off any RF
current flowing on the outside of your coax.

I'd bet that these two modifications will bring things under control. If
not, you may have to try different lengths of feedline, but save that for a
last resort.

good luck,
Tony KT0NY