Brian,

The consideration over the bulk charge rate is still valid - if the
charger goes into bulk charge state the voltage is higher - AND, if the
receive current is much lower than the bulk charge current, the battery
can be over-charged.  To prevent that condition, the bulk charge rate
should be lower than the receive current (it does not have to be matched
to the receive current - just lower).

What will happen is that part of the receive current will come from the
charger and some from the battery - all is well as long as your
operating times are only for a few hours, the battery will provide
plenty of "juice".  The switchable Smartcharger is a real help here, but
I would suggest using 1 amp for the higher current rate - provided you
resolve to leave it at the low current rate until your operating session
exceeds 2 or 3 hours, and at that time, switch the charger to the 1 amp
rate.  If you cannot make that resolution, then I would suggest your
proposed 250/500 ma combination would be better.

73,
Don W3FPR