Don,

I'm sorry but I fail to understand why you think that the bulk charge mode will
overcharge the battery.

Properly configured, the "smart charger" won't even completely charge the
battery in the bulk mode, it takes a shift to the higher voltage absorption
(overcharge) mode to completely "top off" the battery, after which the charger
should reduce its output to the float voltage.

The whole idea behind the smart charger is the automation of the charge cycle
without intervention.

The bulk mode current should be set by design to some fraction of the capacity
(AH rating) of the battery and left alone.

I have a homebrew charger keeping a 95AH Deka AGM battery charged and have
operated my K3/100 on it 100% of the time for over two years.  I built it using
an A&A board in a modified Astron 35A power supply.

http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/Astron_A_A.jpg

Wes