Hi Wes,

I could be wrong on this, but I think what you say is correct if considering
charging the battery alone, but is thrown off when you consider powering the
K2 with the batt via the smart charger.

For example, my K2 receive current is about 400 mA with a bunch of options.
Let's assume that my KBT2 battery is fully charged.  Let's further assume I
built my charger to use a 500 mA bulk charge.

When I turn on my K2, the charger thinks the battery needs to be charged,
and therefore offers up its 500 mA bulk charge.  400 mA goes to the K2, the
excessive 100 mA goes to the battery that is already fully charged, thus the
possible overcharge situation (again, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

What Don is suggesting is to build the charger with a bulk charge BELOW what
the K2's receive current is.  In this case, a bulk charge of 250 mA.
Therefore, when I turn on the K2, the charger offers up 250 Ma, the battery
offers the difference, 150 mA.

If it's run this way for hours and hours, eventually the battery will be
drawn down, in which case the A&A Engineering Charger has the option of
switching to a higher bulk charge (1 amp for example), which can power the
K2 AND charge the battery.

If I could somehow mod the smart charger to provide EXACTLY the same draw
current as the K2, then I think you are right, the chance of overcharging
the battery is nil.

73 N5BCN - Brian

-----
K2 #6800 KPA100/KAT100-2, KSB2, KAT2, KIO2, K160RX, KNB2, KAF2, LP-PAN/K2 w/
Pre-amp, SignaLink USB