I learned with a straight key and a stick. It took me about half of one QSO to
figure out swapping a pencil back and forth, along with throwing the t-r
switch, and the mute switch, adjusting the tx, then keying the key, and
reversing all that, pretty near made it necessary to use my off hand for the
key... keeping the pencil corralled was a good thing. So when paddles came
along, it was pretty near easy to move to a nice paddle, keyer, and still keep
the pencil corralled. It wasn't until just a couple years ago that I had the
fun of playing with a Halli T-O keyer... and a single lever Vibroplex. Remember
when that was THE setup? Well.. I rather had a tussle with it, so am back with
the paddles now, with 8 on the desk now. And one Junkers straight key. Still
keeping the pencil or keyboard in my left hand.It is a lot easier to write with
my left hand and key with the right, although I can do it the other way, for
those few times that someone has the paddles backwards for me. Bu
 t it doesn't sound good. Way past the Lake Erie swing...

Dale - WC7S in Wy