On 6/29/2011 8:48 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> For that matter, it would be pretty hard to head copy and then
> write a full minute with no errors to pass the FCC code test.
> Head copy is pretty much a ham radio thing.

  Starting in the late 1960s I was one of the FCC code examiners in San
  Francisco.  One day  an "old timer" coast station operator came
  up for the Radiotelegraph First Class code test - 25 wpm -
  where a "mill" could be used.  He said that he wanted "the
  First" before he retired.  He set it up, and just before I
  started the tape he asked whether it was OK to smoke during the
  test. In those days, no problem.  He put on the "cans" and said
  "start the tape".  He reached into his pocket, took out a
  cigarette.  Then he reached into another pocket, and pulled out
  a book of matches, lit the cigarette, put the extinguished
  match in an ashtray, dropped the matchbook on the floor, bent
  down to pick it up, put it back in his pocket, sat back for a
  few seconds, and then started typing like a madman about
  halfway into the 5 minute tape - perfect copy. When the tape
  was finished, he turned to me and said "didn't think I could do
  it, did you, sonny?!

  Something I will never forget.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

    Retired and loving every minute of it
    Work was getting in the way of my hobbies