On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz> wrote:

> You are trying to make too much sense out of it...

============
I think Ron sums it up very neatly. If you examine any kind of DXing too
closely it probably doesn't make much sense. Nonetheless, it's fun and can
be compelling -- the pictures of stations and antennas in ON4UN's books
reveal that all over the world hams go to extreme lengths to work DX.

I'm a half-hearted QRP op myself. I've worked DXCC twice with QRP, once with
my K2 and once with a Flex-1500. The first 100 are easy, because there  are
about that many countries on the air all the time with good signals into
Missouri, but after that it gets kinda sticky, and I lose interest. Dave
G3YMC has stuck with it, using only a 60-foot wire in his yard to work more
than 200, so he's one of the QRP DX heroes. At another extreme, I remember
seeing a web page about a ham who had over 300 with 5 watts; he had a huge
antenna setup worthy of a multi-contest station. So it all depends on one's
own inexplicable proclivities.

73, Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352