>Agree.  They also don't report how the guy they worked had to struggle
>to pull them out or what his equipment was.

Brain, I beleive you're speaking from the wrong orifice:

A DX station working a pile-up isn't trying to "pull out the QRPer" - he's just
trying to work those he hears. The fact that he hears (and then works) the
QRPer is a simply function of his having heard the QRPer rather than the others
calling him. This is because the QRPer called where the DX is listening at a
time when the others didn't. By virtue of calling off-freq (outside the
passband), the QRO ops make themselves "virtual QRPpers" who are too weak to be
heard.

Technique and skill of the QRPer are at work here - a fact that is worth dB on
the rx end every bit as real as that gained from an antenna or an amp.

John AE5X
Radio: http://www.ae5x.com/blog