I see no conflict
for a *FILTER* knob
if turned to the right (clockwise) towards the plus sign
the filter widens (as indicated by the display on the radio)

for the *SPAN* located on the P3
after the Span button is tapped
the the P3's knob
if turned to the right (clockwise) the span widens/increases

the discrepancy
is within your head and how *you* choose
to interpret what the knob should be referencing to
the entire display (frequency span)
or
the tiny little parts of the display
that represent the filter widths