Thanks for your reply, Bill.

I verified that the software is setting the correct carrier freq,
based on the center freq cited by the MARS frequency matrix.  I was
thinking along the same lines as your suggestion below.

If I use program control to set the freq, then I get TX + 1.5 KHz =
RX.  This is with split disabled and RIT / XIT turned off.

Temporarily, I'm manually setting the carrier freq to 1.5 KHz below
center instead of relying on the control program to do this.  That
solved the problem, but doesn't explain why the radio has carrier freq
centered on the freq only under program control.

Mysteries....

73,
matt W6NIA / NNN0UET