There are probably many different type of applications of remote control of a
ham station.
Basically I distinguish between
1) control of a truly remote station (with better antennas than what you can
get at the operators site)
2) control of your home station when you are away from home.

Why distinguish?

 Because in case 1) you don't necessarily need a computer at the operating
position. As others point out, it may even be an advantage to use a dedicated
system like RemoteRig.

However, in case 2) you very often need to carry a laptop anyway, so the use of
RemoteRig means carrying additional hardware. Even more, iIn case 2) you can do
away with a laptop without any special programs installed for the rig control.
You can use Logmein which you can reach with a browser. You do need e.g. Skype
installed though.  In case 2) you can even do away with just an iPhone using
Mike KS7D's neat app called K3iNetwork.

You probably can see I'm the typical case 2) user. I've been that for over 5
years now with 15k remote QSOs or more.
Lately having much  fun using the iPhone - it works fine up to 24 wpm on CW
with my fingersize :-)

If I will have to live in a place without antennas, I will become a type 1)
user and then I will use RemoteRig and K3 (or KX3) to K3 remote control.

73 de OZ4UN
Paul