Hi Paul,

Note that the use of the RRC Micro PC Client does not require one to
carry more than a small (matchbox sized) dongle with a small headset to
match. This gives you access to the RemoteRig installation through your
laptop/notebook, using a control program such as HRD. See
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=28 for details.

I use serial port servers (such as from Lantronix) to provide the serial
ports used for linears and rotors over the internet, a computer is very
seldom needed. I am gradually eliminating all remote computers and
replacing them by these servers. As an alternative, there are also some
excellent web-based controllers for rotors, SteppIR and Acom 2000a
available through RemoteRig, see
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1010 for more details.

The list of possibilities actually goes on and on and there is never a
right or wrong method, just the one that fits your needs and pocketbook.
It is fine to use a remote computer with Skype and local serial ports if
that fits your needs. It certainly is cheaper if you already have
everything available.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN